That means “hello” in Swahili. So, hello, from maybe my favoritest vacation, ever. At the very least, it’s top two.
Here’s six reasons why:
- At the Masai village we went to today, this guy causally mentioned that for his bar mitzvah, he had to go out in the bush and kill a male lion with a spear. So, yeah, we copped the tunics cum blankets he was slinging.
- We ran into a herd of fifteen or so elephants today on an early-morning game drive and it was profound as hell. The sense of power and peace that these grey glaciers radiated as they slipped past our jeep was deep; us, temporal, and them, infinite. Then they brought out the calves and it was over, emotionally.
- The Fairmont Mara Safari Club is superb in all facets: staff, location, service, and room.
Everyone smiles. The food is delicious. The tent is dope. We are three minutes from the reserve.
- Pops is over the moon. At everything. How could that not be my favorite birthday gift?
- Lots of people take photos of the Masai people. And, it kinda felt like a human zoo at some points, even though their lifestyle is about 97% traditional. I mean, they made fire for us.So, I took my Fuijfilm Instax camera and took selfies with all the little elementary school kids, gave them the photos to keep and felt a lot better about the whole thing. I just wished I had brought more film.
- When we were speeding solo over the savannah, the sun slowly waking, the animals, peaceful, and the entire horizon gorgeous and wild, well, I couldn’t really grasp the feeling. And then, Simba appeared.